Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Lay With Me, Imperfectly

by Jim Kopetz

    "So here he lies at the last. The deathbed convert. The pious debauchee. Could not dance a half measure, could I? Give me wine, I drain the dregs and toss the empty bottle at the world. Show me our Lord Jesus in agony and I mount the cross and steal his nails for my own palms. There I go, shuffling from the world. My dribble fresh upon the bible. I look upon a pinhead and I see angels dancing."
                  John Wilmot, 2nd Earl of Rochester "The Libertine"

Empty bottles line barefooted floors,
a way to count the days. Or nights.
Each one leads one to the next,
and more behind the cellar door.

Oh how I count the days,
without thought or reason.
A countdown clock, a rainy season,
Oh how I count the ways.

My love has squandered listlessly,
upon the lass of lust.
Though if one were willing to carve a bust,
my love would shine explicitly.

So drain the dregs and share the wealth,
and give no care to thy health.
Smoke and shrug and lay with me,
Lay with me, imperfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment