Saturday, November 9, 2013

I Wake Up (Prelude to a Novel)

by Jim Kopetz


I wake up. Two shots of bourbon and a lukewarm beer. I light a cigarette and drift back off to sleep. I burn myself and wake up. Another shot of bourbon, another lukewarm beer. A hit of strong grass. I'm up.

I get into the shower with two beers. I dry myself off with none. Two eggs on the flattop. Two pieces burnt toast. Grapefruit juice with grapefruit vodka. Two apples and a banana. I throw up. Two .5 mg klonopins and 100 mg of sertraline. Two hits of grass and I'll keep it all down.

One pair of socks. One pair underpants. One wife-beater, one pair of jeans. Old spice deodorant. Long sleeve under, short on top. Brush the hair, apply headband and top it off with a panama hat. Ready to go. One more hit for the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment