Wednesday, June 5, 2013

UPDATED: Lady Gaga Among Others - The Voice and the Persona

by Jim Kopetz


Although I despise her persona, I can't help but admire the vocal abilities of Lady Gaga.

I never took the time to consider Ms. Gaga as an artist. Her meat dress, bizarre attire, and overly sexual material was an automatic red flag. This is a seeker of attention, another brilliant marketing tool for the young and the strange. Enter the Rolling Stones:


Admittedly, I'm a sucker for anything Rolling Stones related. I think 'Beggars Banquet' is one of the greatest albums of all time, and you might as well throw 'Sticky Fingers' in there as well. And although I have mixed feelings about Mick Jagger, the combination of Keith Richards and Charlie Watts can't be beaten in terms of rhythm and musical connection. But this is besides the point.


A lot of artists these days get a bad rap, and I suppose a lot of it is warranted. Be it Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, or Lady Gaga. But I submit that all four of the aforementioned women do have a talent that is overlooked as their private lives are devoured. These women can sing. And when freed from the chains of marketing or even their own strange ideas on identity and personality, can create some amazing work.


I truly believe that they suffer from the constant focus on their personal lives, personas, fashion statements, etc. Amy Winehouse was recognized as a true genius, but the focus on her wild-child activity ultimately lead to a grisly end. Let's hope are artists will free themselves from bondage and dare to let their voices do the talking.

Hailey Williams proved her worth in a single performance:


This is the prelude to the end of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment