Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The 'Django Unchained' Trailer is Finally Here...and It is Glorious

by Jim Kopetz




This writer's most anticipated film of the year gets a trailer. And boy it is intoxicating.



I read the script for Django Unchained some time ago. There was no doubt about it, Tarantino had written a masterpiece. I'm a rarity when it comes to Tarantino's oeuvre. Most of his fans still put Pulp Fiction at the top of the list, maybe Reservoir Dogs. I believe his greatest works to be Inglourious Basterds and Jackie Brown. But this one is going to top it. I can feel it deep in my gonads.


Jamie Foxx was a cause for concern originally. I couldn't see him in the role of a slave. He's too...modern. But the trailer shows his talent and Django is a hell of a character. Christoph Waltz is back as Hans Landa, but in a different universe where his name is King and he is on the side of good. But for me, the shot that sold the whole package was the zoom in on DiCaprio as Calvin Candie:


Hot damn what a shot! And the soundtrack! Even the tagline: "Django is off the chain." This trailer epitomizes everything I love about dear Quentin.


Mark my words...this will be Tarantino's greatest film to date. I can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Yes i agree very much. Can you tell me the name of the soundtrack that comes at the very end? It's definitely not The Big Payback by James Brown. It's killing me for the past few hours..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not the version that so many sites are linking to. The only thing I can find is this sample here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdKifCbShvI . It's definitely the song in the trailer and most assuredly James Brown. Tarantino is known for picking obscure songs and forgotten classics. This could be some sort of big band remix of the song he happened to stumble across. Anyone out there have anything a bit more solid?

      Delete
  2. http://www.whosampled.com/sample/view/11789/Jodeci%20feat.%20Timbaland-In%20the%20Meanwhile_James%20Brown-The%20Payback/

    About a 133 songs sampled James Brown's Payback :) It's hard to even start for god's sake! But you're right. The beats are similar to payback in the end. And no one has an answer to it so far.

    ReplyDelete